Gamers Corner
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ultimate Fun Discussion Site

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Check Out Our Brand New Sports Site Here.http://fuckyeahsports.com/index.php?action=forum

What is the meaning of life?

Go down 
+6
Madasahatter
DreamerVerX
tatsuya
Griever
Apollymi122
Tecseiryu
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Tecseiryu
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Tecseiryu

What is the meaning of life? Empty
PostSubject: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 6:52 pm

I've actually been wanting to pour myself into this, but in blog form, for a long time.

The reason I don't put this on a blog is because I want someone to read it, LoL.

What is the meaning of life? Humanity has asked itself for a very long time.

Since Darwinism began, people have pondered upon this. Before Darwinism, everyone believed the meaning of his or her life to was to make his or her god happy...

And now, study after study, education are education, scientific breakthrough after scientific breakthrough, we've come full circle back to were we began.

The purpose of our lives are to serve our "god."

A "god," by definition is an object of worship.

It can be as you've probably first assumed, an omnipotent being. Or it can be something simple, like money, or fortune, or power, or lust, or material possession, or so on and so forth.

We live to serve our "god."

Though many of you may doubt the credibility in this story, keep the parable in mind to understand what I'm trying to tell you...

A mother once called a doctor and asked for his advice about her son. She said that at school he would eat the rubber from his erasers, and at home he would eat his bicycle pedals. She had absolutely no idea why, and the doctor didn't either.

The doctor told the mother to bring her son in for a full physical and examination immediately.

After talking with the boy the doctor found that the boy's mental reasoning was fine, he was like any other boy his age, nothing what so ever out of the ordinary.

However, blood tests revealed that his body was direly low on sulfur.

The doctor told the mother that the boy's body had a natural craving for the sulfur, and that the boy subconsciously did what he had to do to fulfill that craving (though however odd it may have seemed).

We do the same.

The are those of us who believe that there is a universal creator who hears our inner most thoughts and secrets, with this, we feel loved, and important. Those people live by faith, claiming to have an understanding that there is a world beyond this one. Those individuals claim that faith is evidence of things that are real, but are not tangible (much like thoughts or feelings).

There are also individuals that don't believe in a universal creator. Those individuals give up the hunt to be heard or loved by an invisible force that they cannot detect with one of their five senses. They instead then move to what is real to them. Those individuals also (subconsciously) make a god or gods that make them happy. That god or those gods might be money or success, lust or power, happiness or peace, or whatever, but it's always something they can see or feel, something that is real to them.

Believers or non-believers, A "god" or "gods," are these people's meaning of life.

Everyone is driven to find his or her own meaning of life. Though we might share different beliefs two things are for certain:

1. We will live with each other until we die.

2. We will die.

-So, why fight over the existence of our gods (or the meaning of life)?-

Tec, Peace Out.~

EDIT: Hey, if you guys feel as though I've misrepresented atheists views in some way, you can edit my post on their behave, I won't mind. Sincerely, I won't take an offense.

Back to top Go down
Apollymi122

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 3:51 am

I have a lot of things to say, but my library time is about to run out, lol. I just honestly have to say I love that there is a philosophy section here, awesome Very Happy.

Xo
Back to top Go down
Griever
Global Moderator
Griever

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 7:38 am

Personally, "though I may not agree with what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it." Even if what you say may make some sense, i do not entirely agree with it all. Still, it was a great post, can't deny that. Nice to people's views, i hope more people will post what they believe or how they feel on various situations regarding philosophy. What is the meaning of life? 986711
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 3:17 pm

Raelcore wrote:
Personally, "though I may not agree with what you say, but i will defend to the death your right to say it." Even if what you say may make some sense, i do not entirely agree with it all. Still, it was a great post, can't deny that. Nice to people's views, i hope more people will post what they believe or how they feel on various situations regarding philosophy. What is the meaning of life? 986711

Have to agree with you, I do not totally agree with his words. But it was a beautiful post, I'm not denying that.

I don't believe there is any real central idea you can call the meaning of life. That's how I simply feel.

But a better way to explain what I think of life is, "Life is what you make of it. No more, no less."

As for god and such, I fall into the class which believes there is no omnipotent being that controls our lives and makes things happen. I find such an idea hard to believe and accept. It makes me think people are egotistical when they say god cares about them and does things for them. IF there were such a being, I hardly think he would give a rat's ass about some poor person. But that's just me. I guess I kinda of reflect on this every time I play Simcity or Actraiser. When I am in the seat of power, I could care less about the humans. I would rather pursue my own actions then do there work. A person should learn to take matters into there own hands instead of saying and believing things will be taken care by some greater being. I'm sure that's entirely how it is, but I wouldn't know, I was never the religious type.

Also while I'm on that subject, I feel that most religious types seem to shun others who don't take part in their beliefs. I have seen this in my own family, where we have split in half due to ideas about religion. It's heart-wrenching, but I don't get judged, I believe it's because I am not an adult so they don't give a shit about my opinions on such matters.

Wow, that felt good to get off my chest.

Sorry if I offended someone, but that's how I feel. And it might not have made sense because I have trouble expressing my ideas through words properly sometimes.

This was quite fun, and those who were offended please look at teh kute kitteh Very Happy:
:976432 tvhg:

lol
Back to top Go down
tatsuya
Resident Jerkass Snarker
Resident Jerkass Snarker
tatsuya

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyTue Aug 24, 2010 11:40 pm

Goveynetcom wrote:
Raelcore wrote:

Have to agree with you, I do not totally agree with his words. But it was a beautiful post, I'm not denying that.

I don't believe there is any real central idea you can call the meaning of life. That's how I simply feel.

But a better way to explain what I think of life is, "Life is what you make of it. No more, no less."

As for god and such, I fall into the class which believes there is no omnipotent being that controls our lives and makes things happen. I find such an idea hard to believe and accept. It makes me think people are egotistical when they say god cares about them and does things for them. IF there were such a being, I hardly think he would give a rat's ass about some poor person. But that's just me. I guess I kinda of reflect on this every time I play Simcity or Actraiser. When I am in the seat of power, I could care less about the humans. I would rather pursue my own actions then do there work. A person should learn to take matters into there own hands instead of saying and believing things will be taken care by some greater being. I'm sure that's entirely how it is, but I wouldn't know, I was never the religious type.

Also while I'm on that subject, I feel that most religious types seem to shun others who don't take part in their beliefs. I have seen this in my own family, where we have split in half due to ideas about religion. It's heart-wrenching, but I don't get judged, I believe it's because I am not an adult so they don't give a shit about my opinions on such matters.

Sorry if I offended someone, but that's how I feel. And it might not have made sense because I have trouble expressing my ideas through words properly sometimes.

This was quite fun, and those who were offended please look at teh kute kitteh Very Happy:

lol
Kitty's don't work on me.
So apparently being a powerful higher level being means you can't care about anyone but yourself?
Meh, i better not go there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 10:14 am

tatsuya wrote:
Goveynetcom wrote:
Raelcore wrote:

lol
So apparently being a powerful higher level being means you can't care about anyone but yourself?

Alright bad point on my part, but I just can't see how someone could take that time and care enough about every single person. I suppose my ideas are flawed. And maybe a believe in god works for some, but not all. I am fine with my life how it is, and don't need to worship someone to help give me courage, or strength, or anything else. I believe one can find those traits and qualities if one just searches themselves. I suppose my mind is never set in stone as I am only 15. And my ideas constantly grow and change. But I do have to say there is a lot of things I do not like about religion and such. But I really don't want to piss anyone off and make enemies, so I will try to keep my mouth shut on such subjects.

Back to top Go down
tatsuya
Resident Jerkass Snarker
Resident Jerkass Snarker
tatsuya

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 11:42 am

Goveynetcom wrote:
tatsuya wrote:
Goveynetcom wrote:
Raelcore wrote:

lol

Alright bad point on my part, but I just can't see how someone could take that time and care enough about every single person. I suppose my ideas are flawed. And maybe a believe in god works for some, but not all. I am fine with my life how it is, and don't need to worship someone to help give me courage, or strength, or anything else. I believe one can find those traits and qualities if one just searches themselves. I suppose my mind is never set in stone as I am only 15. And my ideas constantly grow and change. But I do have to say there is a lot of things I do not like about religion and such. But I really don't want to piss anyone off and make enemies, so I will try to keep my mouth shut on such subjects.

Probably a good idea, also too late.

However that changes little.
Back to top Go down
DreamerVerX
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
DreamerVerX

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 2:03 am

Tecseiryu wrote:
There are also individuals that don't believe in a universal creator. Those individuals give up the hunt to be heard or loved by an invisible force that they cannot detect with one of their five senses. They instead then move to what is real to them. Those individuals also (subconsciously) make a god or gods that make them happy. That god or those gods might be money or success, lust or power, happiness or peace, or whatever, but it's always something they can see or feel, something that is real to them.
I feel that there is something wrong there, but never mind.

For me, there is no meaning for life. In the end, the meaning is made right in between our synapses.

We make it, just as we make up everything else, and then we end up saying "oh, there is a meaning to life"
Back to top Go down
Tecseiryu
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Tecseiryu

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyFri Nov 05, 2010 3:16 am

DreamerVerX wrote:
Tecseiryu wrote:
I feel that there is something wrong there, but never mind.

For me, there is no meaning for life. In the end, the meaning is made right in between our synapses.

We make it, just as we make up everything else, and then we end up saying "oh, there is a meaning to life"

See, the meaning of life is what we live for.

If we are theists, then our beliefs are our meaning of life.

If we are atheists, then our meaning of life becomes something else.

I believe each person has his or her individual meaning to their lives.

"tec, what about Dev.?" you must be asking...

See, I know the answer to this question; because he is semi God-like, his meaning of life is how he lives. As everyone here knows, he eats the souls of the innocent (virgins, children, FPS gamers, etc, etc).
Back to top Go down
Madasahatter
Madasahatter

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 4:02 am

I think the meaning of life is different for everyone. I seriously doubt that we all have the same purpose for living. However, while I do believe that life is somewhat predestined I still feel that we can shape our own destinies.
Back to top Go down
Griever
Global Moderator
Griever

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyWed May 04, 2011 4:03 am

Something tells me this is a dangerous subject to discuss especially since we either have a mixed form of religions on this site and our own personal views and opinions on the matter. For the sake of nothing getting out of hand, i propose that we don't discuss any form of religion here.
Back to top Go down
DarkZio
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
DarkZio

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 12:28 pm

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women-Conan the Barbarian
Back to top Go down
Klendathu
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Klendathu

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyMon Apr 30, 2012 2:13 pm

Back to top Go down
lego1995
Forum Legend
Forum Legend
lego1995

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptyTue May 01, 2012 7:08 am

To start with I believe in God, [(Jesus died on the cross to save me so I could live in heaven with him forever)basically I am orthodox Christian]
So those are my religious views( funny how the meaning of life question always hinges on religious view). Anyway the average preacher/pastor would say the meaning of life is to glorify God but that does not add up because he has angels to glorify him(angels are way cooler than us) soooooooo from from my point of view(feel free to disagree,I know someone will) human life is PROBABLY a little plan of God's to defeat Satan, maybe we are a mini-battlefield for Him and Satan to fight on(like chess) and since we seem to be being used Heaven is kinda like a reward to those who believe
Back to top Go down
Psikyo Fox
Forum Master
Forum Master
Psikyo Fox

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? EmptySat May 05, 2012 1:18 pm

If you believe in knowledge,
It is because of obscurity.

If you believe in joy,
It is because of sadness.

If you believe in God,
It is because of the Devil.

... well, thats my take on it anyway! :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is the meaning of life?   What is the meaning of life? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is the meaning of life?
Page 1 of 1